When you’re preparing for a family vacation to Orlando, the last thing you think of packing is your raincoat. But even in Orlando, the sun can’t always shine. We’re not saying you should dig out your umbrella, but we are saying that you’ll probably want to make some back-up plans just in case the rain clouds follow you south. Luckily, this doesn’t mean you have to visit some second-rate attraction just to fill some time; rather, Orlando offers indoor attractions that will entertain the whole family for hours.
One such attraction is WonderWorks Orlando ⎯It’s also a great escape from the sun and the heat on those treacherous summer days. However, WonderWorks is such a beloved attraction that you’ll likely want to check it out whatever the weather; whole tourist groups arrive on buses just to see what this place is all about!
Open 365 days a year, WonderWorks is an indoor interactive amusement park for the mind featuring over 100 interactive exhibits. It also happens to be Orlando’s only upside down attraction; you’ll have to be inverted in the special inversion tunnel before entering so you can being your journey right side up. Let’s take a look at what’s inside:
- Get blown away in 71 mph hurricane winds and then feel what it’s like to experience an earthquake that measures 5.3 on the Richter scale in Disaster Zone.
In Bed of Nails, lie on a bed of 3,500 super sharp nails and feel absolutely nothing. (Then learn the science behind it!)
- Make your way to the mound and pitch to your favorite Major League players at Velocity Ball. But beware, the umpires aren’t about go easy on you: you’ll hear “ball,” “strike,” or “homerun!” based on the pitches you throw.
- Play a sport unlike any other⎯a game WonderWorks calls Mind Ball. This challenging biofeedback game for two employs EEG technology, allowing players to use their brains (only!) to move the ball across the table.
- In WonderCoasters, build a virtual roller coaster you’d never see at any other type of amusement park with the Wonder Simulator, and then go for a ride on it! Anything’s possible when you have the ability to turn 360 degrees in every direction!
- Climb to the top of the Indoor Ropes Challenge Course, a three-story, glow-in-the-dark course complete with 20 different obstacles, such as suspension bridges and swinging beams.
One minute you’re in the theater and the next you’re in the middle of the action with the 4D Extreme Motion Ride. The 12-seat theater takes visitors to new levels of entertainment by combining 3D film with special effects and full motion seats.
- Enjoy a little friendly competition with a game of Lazer-Tag in WonderWorks’ enormous (10,000 square feet!) blacklit maze. The fast-paced excitement can then be followed up with the video arcade area and huge prize redemption center.
- You don’t have to break from the fun to eat a meal at WonderWorks. The Outta Control Magic Comedy Dinner Show is an interactive, hilarious, and family-friendly dinner show that all ages will enjoy. Lighthearted magic tricks are the focus of this show, so keep your eyes on the stage as you enjoy unlimited hand-tossed pizza, salad, popcorn, beer, wine, soda, and dessert.
It may be hard to believe, but this is only the beginning of what WonderWorks Orlando has to offer. To visit Wonderworks and other popular Orlando attractions at a discounted price⎯from Gatorland to the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art⎯check out our Go Orlando Card.