London is the most populous city in the United Kingdom. This bustling, modern city offers visitors a strong emphasis on the arts, commerce, entertainment, and fashion. From historic sites, grand architecture, and unique English culture to beautiful parks and riverfront areas, London is one of the most exciting cities in the world to explore.
As one of the most visited cities in the word, London is home to lots of popular attractions and historic sites; from centuries-old cathedrals to cruises along the River Thames and iconic sights from your favorite films, London has it all.
What are some popular attractions to visit?
- Hop-On Hop-Off Big Bus London Tour – Showcasing the very best of the city’s tourist attractions.
Hop aboard the open-top buses and discover the city’s fascinating history, and the top London attractions.
- Coca-Cola London Eye – The world’s largest cantilevered observation wheel has become the UK’s most popular paid for visitor attraction.
- Madame Tussauds London – Rub shoulders with the stars at one of London’s favorite attractions. For over 250 years Madame Tussauds London has stunned guests with amazingly life-like wax figures of some of the world’s most famous faces.
- St. Paul’s Cathedral – With its iconic dome easily recognizable in the London skyline, St. Paul’s Cathedral is one of the most iconic architectural landmarks in all of England.
- SEA LIFE London Aquarium- Home to one of Europe’s largest collections of global marine life, discover a magical underwater world filled with a dazzling array of amazing creatures.
These are just a few. Want more fun ideas for things to do in London? Head over here for more London attractions to see during your trip.
How long are you visiting?
Whether you’re visiting London for 24-hours or over a long weekend, we’ve put together some sample itineraries with the most popular things to do in the city.
From all-around-town tours to iconic landmarks in the city, these itineraries give you the best London experience for the time you have.
Who are you visiting with?
No matter who you’re traveling with, there are a ton of fun things to do in London, particularly for families.
We’ve put together a list of top attractions and activities geared towards young kids and teens to help you plan your trip.
What type of activities interest you?
Whether you’re envisioning yourself checking off all the top museums or just checking out the iconic landmarks and architecture around the city, our London insiders have put together a few ‘best of’ lists to help you streamline your itinerary.
- Enjoy a Few of the Best London Walking Tours
- Famous London Landmarks – Best Places to Take Photos in London
- Visiting London on a Budget
- more coming soon!
What parts of London are you visiting?
Explore London by neighborhood to maximize your time sightseeing. We’ve highlighted a handful of top attractions and places to see by neighborhood in the city so you can make the most of your time and check off everything on your list.
When are you visiting?
London offers a different experience with each season and type of weather. Check out our lists of things to do in the city throughout the year to make the most of your itinerary, no matter the time of year, and experience unique, calendar-based events.
- Things to do in London in the Summer
- Things to do in London in the Fall
- Things to do in London in the Winter
- more coming soon!
What’s the best way to get around?
Public transportation: the London Underground, or “the Tube,” is one of the easiest and most affordable ways to get around the city. You can purchase, store, and refill fare on a “Visitor Oyster Card.” Tip: fare is determined by how far you travel so keep your Oyster Card handy to swipe as you exit the Underground to determine your fare.
Tip: get the free moovit app for point-to-point trip planning and real-time updates for both subway and bus routes.
Taxis: in London, all licensed cabs are black and well-marked – check in advance what types of payment they accept. Rideshare services such as Uber are a popular alternative. Tip: tipping in London is accepted and you tip as much as you like, but standard etiquette is to round up to the nearest pound.
Hop-on hop-off tours: a hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus tour (an included attraction option) is a great way to get acquainted with the city. While it shouldn’t be relied on as transportation, it can be a fun way to get around to some popular attractions.
Looking for more info? Check out our post on getting around London for tourists.
Where should you stay?
There are plenty of great places to stay in the area. Below are a handful of hotel suggestions located near popular tourist attractions and fun things to do.
- Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
- The Wellington Hotel
- Tune Hotel – Westminster, London
- Park Plaza London Waterloo
Where should you shop?
In between sightseeing, try and find time to pick up some souvenirs. Here are a few popular areas to get some shopping in.
- Oxford Street
- Regent Street and Jermyn Street
- Bond Street and Mayfair
- King’s Road
Where to Eat
Go on a tour of London’s restaurant scene with our Foodie’s Guide to London. We’ve included top picks for every appetite and attractions nearby so you can sightsee while you taste your way through London’s culinary destinations. No judgement.
Fun Info from a Local
- Big Ben is actually the name of the bell inside the clock tower, not the clock or the tower.
- London is the largest city in Europe.
- Tourists often confuse Tower Bridge (the iconic “postcard” bridge) as London Bridge.
- 40% of London is green space.
Share your adventure with us!
Tag us when you upload photos from your trip to Instagram: @SmartDestinations or #GoCityCard.