Greatest city in the world? You decide. From a skyline populated with more skyscrapers than we can count to the expansive green that is Central Park, there’s one thing that can’t be argued: New York City has something for everybody.
Whether you’re traveling with kids,, planning a romantic getaway, meeting up with friends, or just going solo, our travel guides have all the information you need to plan the perfect trip and make sure you see it all (and then some).
What are some popular attractions to visit?
- Hop On Hop Off New York Bus Tour – A must do for first time visitors, this sightseeing tour allows you to to explore NYC at your own pace & get great views of the sights and popular attractions.
- Top of the Rock Observatory – From high atop Rockefeller Center, this is pne of the best places for unmatched views of the city .
- Empire State Building – Spend some time at one of the most iconic and world famous landmarks.
- Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Immigration Museum – Visit the grounds of Liberty Island for unbeatable views of Lady Liberty and downtown Manhattan.
- American Museum of Natural History- One of the largest museums in the world, with collections of more than 32 million specimens and artifacts.
- The Museum of Modern Art – Its extraordinary exhibitions and collections are dedicated to helping you understand and enjoy the art of our time.
These are just a few. Want more fun ideas for things to do in New York? Head over here for more New York attractions to see during your trip.
How long are you visiting?
Whether you’re visiting New York City for 24-hours or a whole week, we’ve put together sample itineraries that include a ton of the most popular things to do in the city.
From top-rated tours to iconic landmarks, these itineraries give you the best New York City experience based on the time you have.
- One Day in NYC – sample itinerary
- 2 Days in New York City – sample itinerary
- 3 Days in New York – sample itinerary
- A Week in New York – sample itinerary
Who are you visiting with?
No matter who you’re traveling with, there are a ton of things to do in New York City for everyone.
We’ve put together a list of top attractions and activities tailored to every type of traveler, from young kids to couples and even nerds.
- Things to Do in NYC with Kids
- Things to Do in NYC with Teens
- Things to Do in NYC for Couples
- Things to Do in NYC for College Students
What type of activities interest you?
Whether you’re envisioning yourself checking off all of the city’s top museums or you just really want to be part of a live audience, our New York City local experts put together a few ‘best of’ lists to help you streamline your itinerary.
- Top Museums in New York City
- How to Get Saturday Night Live Tickets
- Best Places to Take Pictures in NYC
- Visiting New York on a budget
- more coming soon!
What parts of New York City are you visiting?
We highlighted a handful of the top attractions and places to see by neighborhood so you can maximize your time in each location.
- NYC Neighborhoods Guide
- Things to Do in Times Square
- Things to Do in Lower Manhattan
- Things to Do in and around Central Park
- Things to Do in Midtown Manhattan
When are you visiting?
New York City offers a different experience with each season, weather, and holiday.
Check out our lists of things to do in New York City throughout the year to make the most of your itinerary and experience unique, calendar-based events.
- Things to Do in New York in the Spring
- Things to Do in NYC in the Summer
- Things to Do in New York in the Fall
- Things to Do in New York City in the Winter
- Things to Do in NYC When it Rains
- Things to Do in New York When It’s Hot Out
What’s the best way to get around?
NYC is easy to navigate and there are lots of options for transportation, including public transportation, taxis, and shared ride services.
Public transportation: the MTA subway and bus system is the most popular way to get around the city. You can purchase a reusable MetroCard from vending machines at most subway stations. The subway is often faster than relying on cabs due to traffic.
Tip: get the free moovit app for point-to-point trip planning and real-time updates for both subway and bus routes.
Taxis: taxis are available and easy to hail down.
Hop-on hop-off tours: a hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus tour is a great way to get acquainted with the city. While it shouldn’t be relied on as transportation, it does stop at some popular attractions.
Looking for more info? Check out our post on getting around New York for tourists.
Where should you stay?
There are plenty of great places to stay in the area. Below are a handful of hotel suggestions located near popular tourist attractions and fun things to do.
- The Gotham Hotel
- Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue
- The Plaza Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn New York-Times Square Central
- Hudson New York, Central Park
Where should you shop?
In between sightseeing, try and find some time to pick up some souvenirs. Here are a few popular areas to get some shopping in.
- Woodbury Common Premium Outlets
- Macy’s Herald Square
- Upper East Side
Make sure to check out all of the extra discounts and savings available on the New York City Explorer Pass.
Where to Eat?
Go on a tour of New York City’ foodie scene with our top picks for family-friendly places to eat in New York City. We’ve included top picks for every appetite and even made note of nearby attractions so you can sightsee while you taste your way through New York City’s culinary destinations. No judgement.
Fun Info from a Local
- Despite what you may hear, literally, honking is illegal in NYC.
- Approximately 1 out of every 21 New Yorkers is a millionaire.
- New York City is the most linguistically diverse city in the world. Almost half of its residents speak a language other than English at home.
- The MTA subway system consists of 722 miles of track.
- New York City was the original capital of the United States.
Share your adventure with us!
Tag us when you upload photos from your trip to Instagram: @SmartDestinations or #GoCityCard.