Rockefeller Center, some might say, is the hub of Manhattan. Home to the world’s most famous Christmas Tree, NBC New York Studios, the often-filmed ice skating rink, the Associated Press, and the “30 Rock Building”, this eclectic entertainment and business complex is a great place to spend some time when you visit NYC. Discover the ins and outs with a fantastic Rockefeller Center Tour!
John D. Rockefeller’s vision was to build a cultural center in the heart of New York, inspired by and reflecting significant and historic works of art and architecture. Guided tours bring you through the center with your own personal closed-circuit headset, and lead you through Rockefeller Center’s most poignant spots, including its gardens and various buildings.
Rockefeller Center is known as a “city within a city” for a reason. This cultural center comprises 19 commercial buildings spread out over a space of 89,000 square meters! Rockefeller Center has achieved National Landmark Status, and is recognized not only for its entertainment value and commercial use, but for its art-deco architecture and history as a Great-Depression era project taken on by Rockefeller himself, as a gift to his beloved Manhattan.
What’s so great about Rockefeller Center? It houses the following:
- GE Building at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, or “30 Rock” as it’s affectionately known. It’s the namesake of Tina Fey’s hilarious sitcom, as well as home to NBC’s New York Studios—where SNL and other awesome late night shows are filmed
- Radio City Music Hall: Home of the legendary Radio City Rockettes and the Radio City Christmas Spectacular
- The Associated Press Building, at 50 Rockefeller Plaza, a hub for much of the world’s international news
- Recognizable works of art such as Paul Manship’s gilded bronze sculpture of Prometheus giving the gift of fire to humankind; The AP’s News by Isamu Noguchi; and American Progress, a huge fresco-style mural depicting the founding of America
- A World-famous, outdoor ice skating rink and Christmas tree (seasonally, of course!)
Bring your family to Rockefeller Center, one of New York’s most-filmed and happening locations for some fun times and to really feel the buzz of the city! Tours of this awesome complex depart from 30 Rockefeller Plaza at the entrance to Top of the Rock.
[3 of 3 customers found this review helpful]
Comments about Smart Destinations Rockefeller Center Tour:
My husband and I enjoyed this tour. We really like architecture and wanted to see this very famous building. I was amazed by it but if you're not someone who loves this kind of thing, it's probably not for you.
Go to the Will Call window at the 50th Street entrance of the Top of the Rock (between 5th and 6th Avenues) and present your Go Select Pass for entry.
Be sure to get your Go Select Pass back from the staff as you will need it to access your other attractions
Save even more with these pre-built discount packages that include Rockefeller Center Tour bundled with other great New York attractions.