Private Surfing Lesson tickets
Don’t leave Hawaii without trying this quintessential Pacific sport! There’s no better place to learn than in the crowd-free waters of Maunalua Bay. Your boat crew will transfer you by catamaran to a wave break area where you can ride the waves in peace, and with the iconic Diamond Head in the background! Don’t forget your camera.
Build your own discount attraction pass and save on combined admission to two or more attractions.
Surfing! It’s the quintessential Hawaiian activity, and can you really leave without at least trying it? Great—now that you’re convinced, let’s see what Island Watersports Hawaii has in store for you during your incredible Hawaiian vacation.
You will step aboard the company’s stunning 40-foot custom catamaran and head for a secret surf break, far from the frustrating throngs of would-be surfers all trying their luck in the crowded waters of Waikik! Your boat will escort you to Maunalua Bay, Oahu—one of Hawaii’s most scenic surf spots. The backdrop is stunning, with Oahu’s iconic Diamond Head volcanic cone looming in the distance. Once you’ve reached the wave break, you’ll unload, don your surf gear, and courtesy of Island Watersports Hawaii, learn a thing or two about the basic etiquette of surfing, paddling and well…actually getting up on the board.
The trained and friendly staff members will teach you to ride the waves in the very waters that were home to the original surfers; ancient Hawaiian royalty who first popularized the sport using wooden boards. The crowd-free location makes for a completely relaxed and pressure-free surfing experience, so first-timers will appreciate the lack of embarrassing collisions. It’s the perfect environment in which to learn, but even the more experienced surfers will enjoy riding the waves in Maunalua Bay.
Your excursion lasts approximately two and a half hours, and includes the lesson, a snack, and refreshment. Please be sure to wear a swimming suit, bring a towel and sunscreen, and perhaps a pair of sunglasses for the ride out and back! Here are some interesting facts about surfing to get you in the mood for your awesome experience ridin’ the waves, Hawaii-style:
- Surfing has been a part of Hawaiian/Polynesian culture for many centuries. The first known observation of surfers is thought to have been in Tahiti in the year 1767.
- Mark Twain famously wrote of his visit to Hawaii in 1866, “In one place we came upon a large company of naked natives, of both sexes and all ages, amusing themselves with the national pastime of surf-bathing.”
- Hawaii and California offer some of the world’s best surfing, largely due to weather conditions and the somewhat rugged coastlines.
- The basic surfing instructions you will likely learn on your excursion include dropping into position to catch the wave, popping up on the board, and positioning yourself on the wave itself.
- Practicing with balance training exercise in advance of your trip is a good way to prepare!
Enjoy guaranteed discounts on Private Surfing Lesson tickets and your choice of other top attractions.
Island WaterSports Hawaii is located in the Hawaii Kai Shopping Center. Our office is located on the water on the 2nd floor above the Marina Pet Supply store near the Keahole Street bridge.
There must be a minimum of two people booked in order to provide the activity.
Daily, 9:00 am-5:00 pm
May be closed major holidays.
377 Keahole Street Building E
Suite 208-B (2nd Floor)
Honolulu, HI 96825
From Waikiki head east on H1 towards Hawaii Kai. Turn left on to Keahole street and proceed to the Hawaii Kai Shopping Center.
Please check the bus schedule at www.thebus.org.
Reviews for Private Surfing Lesson