San Diego, “America’s finest city,” has some of the best 4th of July events throughout the city and surrounding area.
Whether you’re looking to spend the day at a nearby theme park or lounging on the beach with a picnic and friends, there are lots of great things to do to choose from during July 4th weekend.
If you’re looking for San Diego 4th of July Weekend 2017 ideas, check out some of these local activities and fun things do in San Diego in July, including…
- Annual “Big Bay Boom” Fireworks Show
- Red, White, and Boom! at LEGOLAND® California
- SeaWorld® San Diego’s Electric Ocean
- Fourth of July Fireworks at La Jolla Cove
- and more…
Save on Admission to Popular Attractions
Regular admission to a number of these attractions are included on the Go San Diego Card.
Choose as you go from dozens of San Diego attractions & activities and save up to 55% off combined admission vs paying at the gate.
Please note, some of these special July and 4th of July weekend events may be separately ticketed and not included on the Go San Diego Card.Note: the below ads are not affiliated with SmartDestinations.com
Annual “Big Bay Boom” Fireworks ShowNo matter where you are in San Diego, be sure you don’t miss out on the largest display of fireworks in the city.
Fireworks are launched simultaneously from four barges strategically located throughout San Diego’s North Bay starting just after 9 PM.
Orchestrated to originally produced music selections, broadcast by The Walrus 105.7FM, the fireworks show can be seen and heard from anywhere along the waterfront.
Pack a picnic, grab your lounge chairs, and head over to one of these top places to watch the show:
- Shelter Island: This intimate spot, located on the small strip on land on Point Loma’s bay front, offers excellent views. Be sure to get there before 1:00 pm, when it typically reaches capacity (get there earlier to scope out the best spot!). It’s strongly advised that you walk or take the free shuttle, and make sure to have your lawn chair and a picnic basket in tow.
- Harbor Island: This peninsula situations between downtown San Diego and Shelter Island offers a stunning view of the fireworks with the skyline in the background. The small “island” has limited parking, so you may want to take advantage of the free shuttle service offered by the Port of San Diego, which departs from the Port Administration building on Pacific Highway.
- North Embarcadero and the Marina District: On the east side of the San Diego Bay, provide a hassle-free way to see the show (but you’ll still want to secure your spot early). Parking is available in various lots and on many streets, but you’ll still want to secure your spot early. Gourmet seafood restaurants and fish markets line the coast in this neighborhood that hosts many of the top San Diego attractions.
- Seaport Village/ South Embarcadero: This waterfront shopping and dining complex on the southern end of the Embarcadero, is another popular spot to watch the fireworks. Head there for dinner and drink at a restaurant with a bay view and then stay for the show.
- Coronado Ferry Landing: Head over to Coronado for unique views of the Big Bay Boom fireworks. Coronado Island also has a 4th of July celebration of its own, including a parade, a concert, and fireworks over Glorietta Bay.
Parking availability and prices vary by location, be sure to check the event site for the most up-to-date information and to learn about free shuttles and parking.
Insider tip: Listen to the musical simulcast on THE MIGHT 1090 AM and MAX FM 105.7
- When: July 4, 2017 from 9:00 pm to 9:20 pm
- Where: Fireworks will launch from four barges in San Diego Bay
Getting In: Admission to the fireworks is free.
Red, White, and Boom! at LEGOLAND® California
The LEGOLAND® California star-spangled 4th of July celebration is one of the best ways to celebrate the holiday with your kids.
Don’t miss the impressive firework display timed to patriotic music. Throughout the day, kids of all ages can enjoy live music performances and participate in classic, family-friendly games, like water balloon toss, burlap sack races, LEGO® Hamburger relay, a family build challenge, and more.
All events are included with regular admission to LEGOLAND California.
- When: July 4, 2017 from 10:00 am to 9:00 pm (fireworks are at 8:30 pm)
- Where: LEGOLAND California, 1 LEGOLAND Drive, Carlsbad, CA 92008
Getting In: LEGOLAND California tickets are included with the Go San Diego Card.
SeaWorld® San Diego’s Electric Ocean
Celebrate Independence Day with SeaWorld San Diego’s “Electric Ocean,” with extended park hours, nighttime shows, and fireworks spectacular on select dates, June 17, 2017 – September 4, 2017.
Insider tip: Check the daily schedule when you get to the park and plan your day around which shows and activities you want to see.
- When: July 4, 2017. Fireworks will be at 10:30 pm, check the daily schedule for show times.
- Where: SeaWorld San Diego, 500 Sea World Drive, San Diego, CA 92109
Getting In: SeaWorld San Diego tickets are available as a premium attraction option with the 3-, 5-, and 7-Day Go San Diego Cards; Electric Ocean events are separately ticketed and are not included.
USS Midway Museum 5th Annual 4th of July Celebration
The 4th of July in San Diego doesn’t get much more patriotic than watching the spectacular Big Bay Fireworks show from the flight deck of the USS Midway, one of America’s longest-serving aircraft carriers and the closest venue to the four barge locations from where the fireworks launch.
The USS Midway Museum event will feature lots of fun for all with family activities and and live entertainment. Guests are invited to bring blankets, lawn chairs, and small coolers.
If you want to take a tour of the Midway before hand, pop by during the day and use your Go San Diego Card for general admission.
Insider tip: Buy tickets now, as this event sells out every year!
- When: July 4, 2017 from 6:00 pm. Fireworks at at 9:00 pm.
- Where: USS Midway Museum, 910 N. Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
Getting In: USS Midway Museum tickets are included with the Go San Diego Card; 4th of July celebrations are separately ticketed and are not included with the pass.
Coronado Island Independence Day Celebration
Coronado Island takes Independence Day Celebrations very seriously (with lots of fun and patriotic things to do).
The town puts on a road race, an art in the park show, rough water swim competition, Independence Day Parade, live entertainment, fireworks over Glorietta Bay, and more.
Insider tip: Take the ferry over so you don’t have to worry about parking and make the most of your time on the island by going on a bike tour or kayaking in the bay.
- When: July 4, 2017. Check the Coronado Island 4th of July website for up-to-date info and a full schedule of events.
- Where: Coronado Island
Getting In: Coronado Island 4th of July celebrations are free.
Old Town Celebrations
For the perfect day of traditional 4th of July San Diego celebrations (we’re talking 1800s-style), head to Old Town Historic Park for a classic parade, crafts, and kid-friendly activities such as wagon rides, period games, music, a pie-eating contest, and more.
- When: July 4, 2017 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (you’ll have time to find a spot to watch the Big Bay Boom Fireworks Show!)
- Where: Historic Old Town, 2754 Calhoun Street, San Diego, CA 92110
Getting In: Old Town celebrations are free.
Strictly called “OB” by the locals, Ocean Beach offers a fun-filled day of 4th of July magic with a spectacular fireworks display right off the OB Pier.
Pack a picnic and head to the beach for a day of swimming, lounging, playing in the sand, and shopping along Newport Ave. Bring a radio to tune into the fireworks soundtrack.
Insider tip: Main Beach Parking Lot and Pier Parking Lot will have free parking all day.
- When: July 4, 2017 from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm. Fireworks are at 9:00 pm.
- Where: Ocean Beach, 5091 Niagara Avenue, San Diego, CA 92107
Getting In: Ocean Beach 4th of July events are free.
Celebrate the 4th of July in the beautiful La Jolla. Pack a picnic and bring a blanket to Ellen Browning Scripps Park for the best views of the 4th of July Fireworks at La Jolla Cove.
Make the most of your day in La Jolla and hop in a kayak or throw on some snorkel gear to explore the coastal caves and popular sea lion spot and check out the sea life in La Jolla.
Grab a bite to eat with a view at one of the seaside restaurants and then stroll the neighborhood.
Insider tip: Head to the park early to get one of the best views in the city of the sunset and to scope out a good spot for the fireworks show.
- When: July 4, 2017. Fireworks at 9:00 pm.
- Where: Ellen Browning Scripps Park, 1180 Coast Boulevard, La Jolla, CA 9203
Getting In: La Jolla Cove Fireworks are free to watch.
San Diego Zoo Africa Rocks & Summer Safari
This summer, enjoy exploring the many wonders of Africa with a visit to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park. This brand new area of the park — the Conrad Prebys Africa Rocks — spotlights several amazing creatures to promote awareness, education, and conservation efforts.
Plus, you get to roam six all-new habitats and see creatures and plants never before seen at the San Diego Zoo!
Animals include animals from regions of Africa like Cape Fynbos, Madagascar Forest, the Ethiopian Highlands, and more. Look out for everything from playful penguins to majestic big cats.
This summer, be sure to also check out their “Summer Safari” event series at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, which offers delightful entertainment like drumming, dancing, acrobatics, and more, alongside educational highlights of select critters.
All events take place on the Summer Safari Stage, and are included with regular admission.
Remember to Save on Attraction Admission
There you go – plenty of fun ideas for things to do in San Diego in July to help you plan your 4th of July weekend itinerary.
Spend the day sightseeing and then stake out the ultimate vantage point to enjoy world-class fireworks in San Diego!
Remember, many of these great ideas are included on the Go San Diego Card, where you can save up to 55% on combined admission vs paying at the gate.
We really hope you consider adding a few of these popular options to your upcoming plans. Enjoy!