Los Angeles is more than just a party in the U.S.A., it’s a modern, trendsetting city with diverse residents, a rich global culture, varying landscape, good eats, and fun in the sun weather nearly 300 days a year.
Get in the Cali mindset. Whether you’re traveling with kids-in-tow, planning a romantic getaway, meeting up with friends, or going solo, our travel guides have all the information you need to plan a memorable trip. From Hollywood thrills and outdoor activities, to cultural explorations, Los Angeles has it all.
Things to do in Los Angeles once you’ve hopped off the plane at LAX:
What are some popular attractions to visit?
- Universal Studios Hollywood – The Entertainment Capital of L.A.SM, includes a full-day, movie-based theme park and Studio Tour plus Universal CityWalk®, an entertainment, shopping, dining complex, and much more.
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood – Enjoy a carefree time hanging out, posing with, and laughing at the lifelike Hollywood personalities on display at Madame Tussauds Hollywood.
- Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood – One of the best studio tours in Los Angeles. Go behind the scenes at a Hollywood studio. See how movies & TV shows are made.
- Hollywood Museum – The official museum of Hollywood, has the most extensive collection of Hollywood memorabilia in the world.
These are just a few. Want more fun ideas for things to do in Los Angeles? Head over here for more Los Angeles attractions to see during your trip.
How long are you visiting?
Whether you’re visiting Los Angeles for 24-hours or staying an entire week, we’ve put together sample itineraries that include all of the most popular things to do in the city.
From all-around-town tours to popular theme parks and activities, these itineraries give you the best LA experience based on your length of stay.
- One Day in Los Angeles – sample itinerary
- 2 Days in Los Angeles – sample itinerary
- 3 Days in Los Angeles – sample itinerary
- One Week in Los Angeles – sample itinerary
- California Road Trip – sample itinerary – San Diego to San Francisco
- Los Angeles staycation ideas for a fun weekend at home
Who are you visiting with?
No matter who you’re traveling with, there are a ton of fun things to do in Los Angeles, particularly for families.
We’ve put together a list of top attractions and activities geared towards young kids and teens to help you plan your trip.
What type of activities interest you?
Whether you’re planning on checking out all the top museums or you really just want to go behind-the-scenes and see the ‘movie magic,’ our LA locals put together a few ‘best of’ lists to inspire and help you decide what’s worth adding to your itinerary.
- Best Hollywood Studio Tours
- Top Los Angeles Area Theme Parks
- Top Museums in Los Angeles
- Visiting Los Angeles on a budget
- more coming soon!
What parts of Los Angeles are you visiting?
Explore Los Angeles by neighborhood to make the most of your time sightseeing. We’ve highlighted a handful of top attractions and places to see by neighborhood in LA so you can maximize your time in each location.
When are you visiting?
Los Angeles is a great city to visit year-round and offers a different experience to travelers with each season and type of weather. Check out our lists of things to do in the city throughout the year to make the most of your itinerary and experience unique, calendar-based LA happenings.
- Things to Do in Los Angeles in the Spring
- Things to Do in Los Angeles in the Summer
- Things to Do in Los Angeles in the Fall
- Things to Do in Los Angeles in the Winter
- Things to Do in L.A. When it Rains
- Things to Do in Los Angeles When It’s Hot Out
- Things to Do in LA Indoors
What’s the best way to get around?
Los Angeles is easy to navigate – it has the second largest public transportation system in the nation and there are tons of taxis and shared ride services available.
Public transportation: the Metro Bus and Rail system is a convenient and affordable way to get around Los Angeles. Consider getting a Metro Day Pass for unlimited rides on the day of purchase.
Tip: get the free moovit app for point-to-point trip planning and real-time updates for both subway and bus routes.
Car: renting a car is the most popular option for travelers.
Taxis: taxis are available and easy to hail down and shared ride services such as Uber and Lyft are widely available and easy to use.
Hop-on hop-off tours: a hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus tour (an included attraction option) is a great way to get acquainted with the city. While it shouldn’t be relied on as transportation, it does stop at some popular attractions.
Looking for more info? Check out our post on getting around Los Angeles for tourists.
Where should you stay?
There are plenty of great places to stay in the area. Below are a handful of hotel suggestions located near popular tourist attractions and fun things to do.
- Hollywood Historic Hotel
- Hilton Checkers
- Hollywood Le Bon Hotel
- Sheraton Grand Los Angeles
- Hollywood Hotel-The Hotel of Hollywood
Where should you shop?
In between sightseeing, try and find time to pick up some souvenirs. Here are a few popular areas to get some shopping in.
- Citadel Outlets
- The Grove
- Santa Monica Place
- Rodeo Drive
Make sure to check out all of the extra discounts and savings available on the Go Los Angeles Card.
Where to Eat
Go on a tour of Los Angeles’ foodie scene with our top picks for family-friendly places to eat in Los Angeles. We’ve included top picks for every appetite so you can sightsee while you taste your way through Los Angeles’ culinary destinations. No judgment.
Fun Info from a Local
- The Hollywood sign originally said “HOLLYWOODLAND” – it’s intended purpose was as a billboard marketing a housing development.
- Los Angeles is built on the third largest oil field in the country.
- There are more cars than people in LA.
- Los Angeles has the largest number of female-owned businesses in the country.
- Beverly Hills was originally a Lima bean ranch.
Share your adventure with us!
Tag us when you upload photos from your trip to Instagram: @SmartDestinations or #GoCityCard.