Birch Aquarium tickets
From its unforgettable view of the Pacific Ocean to its memorable marine life exhibits, Birch Aquarium at Scripps is a must-see for every landlubber. Learn about living coral reefs, watch baby seahorses play, and listen to whale songs. You can even pet sea stars!
Discover a stunning variety of marine habitats at Birch Aquarium, along with an unforgettable view overlooking La Jolla and the Pacific Ocean! Dive into exhibits that showcase the mysteries of ocean, air and life through interactive displays and multimedia.
The Go San Diego Card is the best choice for maximum savings and flexibility.
Birch Aquarium is the public exploration center for world-renowned Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California at San Diego. For more than a century, this aquarium-museum has delighted San Diego's residents and visitors with the wonders of the ocean.
Each of the exhibits at Birch Aquarium brings to life a unique aspect of ocean life. Here are the ongoing exhibits you won't want to miss:
- Boundless Energy: Get charged up about the future of energy in Boundless Energy, Birch Aquarium at Scripps' newest interactive exhibit that celebrates the innovative ways we can use natural forces to power our lives. Discover how we can harness the renewable energy of the wind, sun and waves to assure a bright future for everyone: a future with clear skies, clean water, and healthy oceans.
- Feeling the Heat: The Climate Challenge: Birch Aquarium presents the science of global climate change, backed by 50 years of research from Scripps' Institution of Oceanography. Check out a futuristic news report showing what the weather may look like in 2050, and test your knowledge of the extent to which everyday items impact the environment.
- There’s Something About Seahorses: Did you know male seahorses can become pregnant? Visit their babies in the seahorse nursery!
- Whales: Voices in the Sea: The coast of California is home to a variety of migrating whale species. This exhibit features an interactive display showing how whales use sound to communicate. You can even try recording your own whale calls.
- Wonders of Water: Birch Aquarium even has a special place for young mariners to roll up their sleeves and play (while learning, of course)!
- Coral Displays: Coral reefs are not just collections of dead rocks. They are living, breathing ecosystems with some very surprising benefits for humans and fish alike. This exhibit will teach you why they are disappearing and what's being done about it.
- Hall of Fishes and Shark Reef: More than 60 habitats are housed here, including a 70,000-gallon kelp forest tank, as well as creatures found from the Pacific Northwest to the tropical waters of Mexico. What aquarium visit would be complete without a visit to the shark reef? Some of the world's most beautiful species are housed here, including whitetip and blacktip reef sharks. If you're lucky, you might even catch a live shark-feeding!
- Living Tide Pools: Get your hands wet and take an up-close look at "life on the edge" of the ocean. Check out the habitats of sea stars, lobsters, and sea cucumbers—all natives of San Diego's coastal waters.
Birch Aquarium gives children and adults alike a fascinating look at marine life, while allowing for hands-on science education, with lessons they're not likely to forget. Thanks to the research and dedication of Scripps' Institution of Oceanography, thousands of visitors leave each year feeling inspired to respect and preserve marine life.
Your pass includes Birch Aquarium tickets, plus admission to dozens more top attractions.
Present your pass at the admissions counter.
Daily, 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
All holiday hours are subject to change without notice.
2300 Expedition Way
La Jolla, CA 92037
I-5 to La Jolla Village Drive exit, head west. La Jolla Village Drive becomes North Torrey Pines Road (approx. 1 mile). Turn left on Expedition Way. Parking is to your left, at the bottom of the hill. Three hour parking is included with admission.
By Bus: Bus #34 to Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Get off at Downwind Way and La Jolla Shores. Walk up Downwind Way to aquarium.
Reviews for Birch Aquarium