Birch Aquarium tickets
From its unforgettable view of the Pacific Ocean to its memorable marine life exhibits, Birch Aquarium at Scripps is a must-see for every landlubber. Learn about living coral reefs, watch baby seahorses play and listen to whale song. You can even pet sea stars!
Build your own discount attraction pass and save on combined admission to two or more attractions.
Discover a stunning variety of marine habitats, along with an unforgettable view overlooking La Jolla and the Pacific Ocean! Enter the world of sharks, seahorses, living coral reefs and more, and dive into exhibits that showcase the mysteries of ocean, air, and life, through interactive displays and multimedia. Birch Aquarium is the public exploration center for world-renowned Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California at San Diego. For more than a century, this aquarium-museum has delighted San Diego's residents and visitors with the wonders of the ocean.
Each of the exhibits at Birch Aquarium brings to life a unique aspect of ocean life. Here are the ongoing exhibits you won't want to miss:
- Feeling the Heat: The Climate Challenge: Birch Aquarium presents the science of global climate change, backed by 50 years of research from Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Check out a futuristic news report showing what the weather may look like in 2050, and test your knowledge of the extent to which everyday items impact the environment.
- There’s Something About Seahorses: Did you know male seahorses can become pregnant? Visit their babies in the seahorse nursery!
- Whales: Voices in the Sea: The coast of California is home to a variety of migrating whale species, and what better place to learn about them than San Diego's Birch Aquarium? This exhibit features an interactive display showing how whales use sound to communicate. You can even try recording your own whale calls.
- Boundless Energy: Birch Aquarium has it all, including a place for young mariners to roll up their sleeves and play while learning about how we can harness the power of renewable energy for a more sustainable future.
- Coral Displays: Coral reefs are not just collections of dead rocks, they are living, breathing ecosystems with some very surprising benefits for humans and fish alike. This exhibit will teach you why they are disappearing, and what's being done about it.
- Elasmo Beach: More than 60 habitats are housed here, including a 70,000-gallon kelp forest tank, and creatures found from the Pacific Northwest to the tropical waters of Mexico. What aquarium visit would be complete without a visit to a shark exhibit? Learn about the incredible local sharks and rays that call La Jolla home. If you're lucky, you might even catch a live shark-feeding!
- Living Tide Pools: Get your hands wet and take an up-close look at "life on the edge" of the ocean. Check out the habitats of seastars, lobsters, and sea cucumbers—all natives of San Diego's coastal waters.
Birch Aquarium gives children and adults alike a fascinating look at marine life, while allowing for hands-on science education, and teaching lessons you're not likely to forget. Thanks to the research and dedication of Scripps Institution of Oceanography, thousands of visitors leave each year feeling inspired to respect and preserve marine life. Don't miss this unique experience! Grab your Pass and enjoy one of the best deals at Birch Aquarium today.
Enjoy guaranteed discounts on Birch Aquarium tickets and your choice of other top attractions.
Head to the ticketing booth and present your Pass for admission.
Daily, 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
All holiday hours are subject to change without notice.
2300 Expedition Way
La Jolla, CA 92037
I-5 to La Jolla Village Drive exit, head west. La Jolla Village Drive becomes North Torrey Pines Road (approx. 1 mile). Turn left on Expedition Way. Parking is to your left, at the bottom of the hill. Three hour parking is included with admission.
By Bus: Bus #34 to Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Get off at Downwind Way and La Jolla Shores. Walk up Downwind Way to aquarium.
Reviews for Birch Aquarium at Scripps